Monday, June 1, 2009

Interview with "Scottish" John Buultjens - Old School Haro Collector


"Scottish" John Buultjens is a mate of mine from Australia who is very passionate about BMX and is a serious fan of old school Haro bikes. I just got an email from him with some pics of his pride and joys and I decided to ask him some Questions...

How long did it take to collect the bikes to this point?

It all started ten years ago when my folks back in Scotland were moving house. They packed up all my thing's from underneath the house and shipped them to me in Australia. I was so stoked to receive all my old thing's in 12 big boxes. My old shoes Ghetto Blaster and all my old broken Haro's from the 80's. It was then I decided to rebuild them. I wanted all my memories to come back to life. So ten years to this date!


What got you into collecting the Haro's?

From 87 I was alway's riding Haro's. There were the bikes everyone rode in the 80's. I mean the originator of Freestyle (Bob Haro) started this thing and he had his own company, so everyone wanted one. You know in 88 Haro had all the pro rider's riding for them and I mean all! Plus the bikes do look better than any other bike company in my eye's. I love my Haro's!

Do you really have them insured for $100,000 AUD? ($81,000 USD)

Well I have 17 bikes in total but I have only finished ten of them. I still need to finish my 2 x 87's, 2 x 88's, my 2 x 91's and my 92 Sport. But yeah they are insured for $100,000

Do you ride the bikes around?

Wash your mouth out please. I have built a spare 87 sport, my original one I rode back in the day. I will probably ride it when we have a reunion over here or maybe bring it to the states to ride one day.

I know you were planning a generations of freestyle is this still going on?


Yeah mate, for sure. The Generations Of Freestyle is the main reason for my collecting the Haro Collection from 1983 to 1992. The reunion will be in 2011. I didn't think it would take me this long to build my bikes. The hardest part is getting the parts. Like my 88 Team master come with Haro HPM gum wall tires in white and the 88 Team Sport come with Haro HPM gum wall tires in Black. These tires are almost impossible to come across. Plus I still need a set of peregrine cranks. Lastly I need 8 team disc's. There are none around so I need to make my own. I was given permission to do so by Haro U.S.A.

How can people contact you if you please?

If anyone can help me with my last few part email me direct at: teamharo@hotmail.com

Colin Mackay