Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dorkin' Roots, and DMC

  Today in my messenger bag I have stashed the Dorkin' In York DVD Box Set.
 After starting off with Dorkin' 4, I must say that I'm still totally impressed. Even more so, in some cases because the footage is so much clearer on DVD and look at the bikes! Consider how much different and how much heavier bikes were back then!

  Even footage from 15 years ago still contains a pretty familiar set of tricks. Most of the stuff Kevin was pulling ten years ago, is just now catching up in some cases. And the places that new riders have taken those original tricks are truly incredible. Kevin Jones still matters kids.

   As I went through the different eras of the Dorkin' videos I was reminded of how authoritative Kevin Jones is as a rider.

  My favorite thing about Mind Blown Jones- is that in person, he's just a normal looking dude from Pennsylvania. 

You'd never know that the guy buying a Tasty Cake and Yoohoo already mastered and pulled your best run 10 years ago, alone in a parking lot, on a random Tuesday.. before you even dreamed about riding.

     I really appreciate modern flatland style and the amazing progression flatland has experienced, but I will always be partial to the classic style of the Plywood Hoods. It's the style of riding that inspired me the most over the years and if I can pull one trick with the authority that Kevin Jones throws into every move, then I feel like I've accomplished something.  Know your roots!
Next up, breaking in my rebuilt Sick Child and learning Dennis McCoy-style G-turns/G-string whiplashes.

Talk about an impressive sumbitch! I rode down the late-night-streets of Austin in '90 watching Dennis coast Hang-Five's at 30mph and manuals along the tops of random walls.  Total control.

Ridden any flatland lately Dennis??  Let's ride

I'd pay to watch DMC bust out G-strig whiplashes, G-Turns, and hanglider-boomerang varations.

Team Haro # 1