Tuesday, May 3, 2011

BMX Freestyle History! Mid Air Vert! Dennis McCoy, INSANE- Can-Can Lookback, from: BMXDigital.com

Via Flickr:
Part of a Visual History of BMX Freestyle, Evolution/Revelation right here in FLICKR

This air is one of the most wicked looking tricks to witness in person -on Vert. This photo was taken by me, on my first basic 35mm camera that I got for graduation. It had no zoom and an auto-focus but nothing else. By this time I'd started studying media in college and had been a journalist/photographer in high school. Somehow I lucked out and developed an eye for great shots. More than anything I enjoy capturing amazing moments in time.

This was before the era of tricks so mindblowing that you'd previously only did them in video games. Watching Dennis McCoy and Mat Hoffman show us all what REAL Vert riding was all about, is still one of the most impressive things I've ever witnessed.


Dennis McCoy is also one of the most talented FLATLAND riders that I've ever seen.

Most people know DMC as a Vert rider. But I knew about Dennis when he was an all-around rider. That's Flatland and Vert competition. This pic was taken at the old Hoffman Bikes warehouse/ramps.. this was before ESPN came into the picture. It was just a bunch of riders pushing the limits and expanding the sport. September 1993.

PS:

On the next set of airs, Dennis dis-located his shoulder and collided full speed with the person standing next to me, off the ramp!! Missed me by about a foot, that was intense.