Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Allan Cooke Retires?


After Allan's Prelim run in park at the final stop of Dew Tour in Orlando,
Florida on the weekend, the announcer let everybody know that Allan had
finished his run and will be retiring from competition. A weird twist was
Allan's preliminary run was good enough to get the last spot for the finals
the next day so his retirement was on hold for 24 hrs.
I wanted to hit up Allan to find out more about the retirement and his plans
for the future.

So what's going on, nobody knew about this move?


Well I wouldn't call it a retirement, I'm just not going to compete in the
Dew Tour anymore. I have been going to every contest I could get to for the
last 12 years and I want to spend my last good years on my bike going
something different, I will always ride but there will come a day where I
will stop pushing myself and I want to see what I can do riding without the
time and effort it takes to do a full year of competition.

Ok fair enough, So you've been in the Dew Tour since the start in 2005, 5
years of battles, does it get boring?


Man It's never been boring, I have been lucky enough to be in the majority
of the finals at the Dew events and when the lights in the stadium go off
and the crowds are cheering, it's an exciting feeling to be able to put
everything you have into the next two minutes of BMX on that stage. Even
though we are all out there competing against each other, I can remember so
many times where the guys would be cheering me on from the deck in the
middle of my run. I remember being so stoked on other guys runs, it was
just so much fun to be a part of all that good BMX.

Have you gotten many injuries from doing the Dew?
I knocked some teeth out two separate times. I don't really remember
getting injured much at the Dew Tours but I do remember riding some of the
events with injuries, I can't tell you how much the Dew medical staff has
helped me over the last 5 years. Stitches, Ice, put teeth back in, taped
sprains, drained knee several times, made a custom little brace for a broken
foot, and infinity I.B. Profen pills. They did it all this because I wanted
to ride, I didn't have to I just wanted to and that was enough for them even
though they knew that it wasn't always the best idea.

Do you think BMX needs the Dew Tour?

I think so, I don't think it's the most important thing but it plays an
important role. Look at how many dudes that have never made a final and
have little support have been able to come out to a Dew event and go home
with a fairly easy $1000. That money buys a lot of Ramen Noodles, and that
goes a long way for a BMXer.

Any memorable stops for you?

Yeah man there's so many stories, I would have to write a book to put them
all down.

Your only 27 years old and it seems you are riding well, and obviously still
able to make a final, what's going on from here?

Managing Haro BMX, being a good Dad to My Daughter Elle and a good Husband to my wife Mary are my main focuses these days. As far as riding goes, since I took my brakes off, got a free coaster I have been having so much fun and I can only imagine how fun
it's going to be without it being my main source of income. I want to film
a lot of things, things that have been buzzing around in my head for the
last couple years but never got around to because of all the contests. I
would really like to put all my effort into a full part in a video, anyone
have an open spot, Haahaa. I'm still going to do X-Games Mega Ramp, I want
to go to the worlds and other fun comps overseas next year. I jokingly tell
people that I'm more of a soul rider these days, hahaha. I guess it's sort
of the truth though.

Thanks...


My parents, brother, and wife. No telling where I would be without those
people in my life. All of my sponsors over the last 12 years, all the guys
I competed with and anyone who has ever helped me out over the years.