Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Winter Essentials: Whiskey Ginger

It's no secret that I like booze. Whiskey in particular. More specifically bourbon or Kentucky whiskey. It's also a well worn mid-western tradition (as we've discussed in the past) to ride out the winter by spending mucho time with your music collection and alcohol.
IMG_6107
what you can't see is the fresh lime juice I squeezed into it. that's key

I had been a whiskey-coke man for years upon years (side note winter is also a very good time for brandy. That's the 'Sconnie in my blood) and continue to this very day to enjoy the beverage very much. Over the last few years though my drinking habits have begun to change a bit, culminating with what I imagine will be a permanent change in my mixer of choice (when mixing).

I used to get a pint glass, add ice and dump in whiskey until it looked about right. Then I would fill the rest of the glass to the top until the better part of a can of Coke had been used. When I was still living at the old house, Bike Jerks AV guy Kevvy, saw this concoction and proclaimed that I in fact didn't love booze as I have always professed but instead just loved Coke. Needless to say this scathing comment cut to the bone. I quickly dismissed his comment as "asshole," but for the next few weeks it stuck with me and and kept gnawing at my soul. The end result of all this hellish introspection was a switch to highball glasses and boozier drinks. (Thanks Kev)

Even in smaller doses, and though it is delicious, Coke is pretty gross stuff. It leaves that weird film on your teeth, which always makes me feel like an eight year old.

Enter Ginger Ale, and the refined gentleman's cocktail of whiskey ginger compared to the college freshman's whiskey Coke. Ginger ale doesn't make your teeth feel like they're rotting out of your skull and thus is tasty way deeper into the evening. Is great with a lime (shoutout to my man, the King of Limes), and I'm guessing is going to be my cocktail of choice from now until infinity.

Coke we had a long run, but I'm fucking over it.

xoxo