Monday, January 25, 2010

Nyquist Ten years ago..

Ryan10yearsago

I spotted this pull-out poster in an old RideBMX magazine from 10 years ago, and thought I'd see if things have changed with Ryan Nyquist. Here's what he had to say...

"I probably thought I looked pretty good in this poster; all white clothes, wife beater, crew socks pulled up to the knees, and shorts with HUGE knee pads. My bike was definitely set up just the way I liked it too; four-piece bars possibly cut down to 20" wide, front and rear wheels with 48 spokes and triple wall rims, and a seat post that was, at least, 8 inches higher than it is now (which isn't really saying much).

But what really stands out to me is the no footed can-can. For me it's a classic trick. One that has never lost it's luster, or it's challenge... to get my arms and legs as extended as possible. It's still the same things I think about when I do this trick today. I guess when you take away all the fashion no-no's and the strange bike set-up, the only thing you're left with is a no footed can-can. Sure it's evolved since then, and there's different variations and it's done on different obstacles, but I still love this trick as much at the day I learned it, which was probably ten years before we took this photo. Twenty years deep with a no footed can-can... the more things change, the more they stay the same."

P.S. Wear shin guards kids.